The Surgery Department provides 24/7 elective and emergency care, for patients with basic insurance and also patients with complementary or private insurance.
It is made up of eight medical divisions:
- Cardiovascular Surgery Division
- Maxillofacial and Oral Surgery Division
- Orthopedic Surgery and Musculoskeletal Trauma Care Division
- Plastic, Reconstructive and Cosmetic Surgery Division
- Thoracic and Endocrine Surgery Division
- Visceral Surgery Division
- Transplant Surgery Division
- Urology Division
While the department divisions function autonomously, from a medical point of view and in terms of patient care, they are functionally and structurally linked to one another, in terms of the following aspects:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
- Training of residents, career planning
- Academic research activities
- Use of common operating theaters
- Handling of surgical emergencies, in particular as part of the CAU
- Humanitarian surgery
- Common department budget
The department is a center of excellence in several areas and in several surgical specialties, not only at a Swiss level, but also a Europe level.
Each year, it welcomes dozens of outside visitors who come to do an advanced training course.