Should You Have a Problem
Call the Children’s Hospital immediately if:
- Your cast breaks, hurts or irritates your skin, smells bad or has become too big (the limb moves inside).
- You can feel the cast pressing against a part of the limb, or a small object has become stuck in the cast.
- You continue to experience strong pain even though you’ve raised the fractured limb (see drawing) and taken the prescribed painkillers.
- You can’t move your fingers or toes anymore, or they prickle, are swollen, cold or blue or white (they should be pink-coloured).
- You have a fever (+38.5 °C), feel shivery or sick to your stomach, have chest pain or are short of breath.
Who should you contact if you have a problem or in an emergency?
You can also go directly to pediatric emergencies, open 24/7, at 47 avenue de la Roseraie.
- Protect your cast with a plastic bag when you shower.
- Don’t take baths while you’re wearing the cast.
- Wash the fingers and toes of the limb in the cast every day.
- Don’t wear nail polish.
- To dress, start with the cast.
- To undress, end with the cast.